Sponsors

Moderator: Narcotics Anonymous Commission

Donna Love

Sponsors

You know, the pleasant individual you had coffee with after your first meeting. That kind individual that continues to share his or her recovery journey for free. The one who continues to astound you with astounding insight into your character flaws. The one who reminds you to complete your Fourth Step, listens to your Fifth Step, and doesn't tell others how strange you are. When we're used to someone being there for us, it's easy to take all of this for granted. We may let our imaginations go wild for a time, telling ourselves, "I'll call my sponsor later, but right now I have to clean the house, go shopping, and chase that attractive." As a result, we find ourselves in turmoil, wondering where we went wrong.

Our sponsor cannot read people's minds. It is up to us to seek out and ask for assistance. It is our responsibility to make the request, whether we need assistance with our steps, a reality check to help us straighten out our wacky thinking, or simply a buddy. Sponsors are warm, intelligent, lovely individuals, and their recovery experience is available to us. All we have to do is ask. A sponsor is somebody who has been clean for at least 5 months and wants to spend time helping a newcomer get started in Narcotics Anonymous and recovery. The sponsors are not medical or professional practitioners. Sponsors are not paid.